Friday, October 13, 2017

"I wanted to kiss you goodnight"


It's crazy to think that it's already been 2 months since Grandma left and so much has happened too. I've actually had this animation drawn out a month ago, but September was pretty hectic and I never finished scanning or coloring them. Aside from that, my family and I have been doing well. It's still surreal to me knowing she's not here anymore though.

This is what it looks like in my sketchbook:


The saying "I wanted to kiss you goodnight" is from a Meg & Dia song that I was listening to, my inspiration for this animation. It's based on my most fond memory of my Grandma.

On August 12th, the day before she died, I just came back from my bible study's camping trip and I went to visit her. It was pretty late, maybe around 6 or 7pm, when I saw her. Although, I could tell she wasn't getting better and she looked more tired than how she was the past two days. I got to tell her about my camping trip and told her I thought of her every day, but her eyes were very droopy and it looked like she wanted to sleep. "Are you tired, Grandma?" No answer. "Grandma, do you want to go to sleep?" No answer. "Grandma, do you want me to leave?" "No" she replied quickly. After that, I stayed with her and held her hand until she started coughing and I had to get my mom and my aunt. That was my last conversation with her, but her response back to me meant the world to me—and that, I will always treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment